Friday, January 28, 2011

Bachelor Chow

This is cheap, tasty, healthy, quick, and delicious.  Without the optional ingredients, it's actually a little too healthy.  I once tried to eat nothing but this soup over a weekend.  It wasn't some goofy diet, I just like the soup and am lazy.  I ate as much as I could fit in my stomach because it's yummy, and I still nearly passed out due to lack of calories.  That's when I started adding sour cream, and eating it with big chunks of bread.


Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
32 oz box of low-salt beef broth
1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped; I like Romas
2 medium shallots, chopped
Some fully cooked ham or bacon, chopped
Sour cream (optional)
Couscous (optional)


Preparation:
Bring broth to a gentle boil.  Add lentils, tomatoes, shallots, and meat.  Return to boil, then cover and simmer as directed on the lentil package, usually about 20 minutes.  You may need to skim off some scummy stuff from boiling the meat.  Serve with a dallop of sour cream for a little tangy flavor and much-needed fat.  You can add couscous either because you like couscous, or to soak up the liquid and make the dish more portable for bagged lunches.

In other words, cook the lentils as usual but using broth instead of water, and with meat and veg in.

This works as a main, and sometimes only, dish.  Best served with a filling side like dense bread, and beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment